IE Warning
YOUR BROWSER IS OUT OF DATE!

This website uses the latest web technologies so it requires an up-to-date, fast browser!
Please try Firefox or Chrome!

Sugar, sugar

Sugar,

Oh, honey honey

You are my candy girl

And you got me wanting you

~ Sugar, Sugar by The Archies

If you’ve ever had a little look around this blog, you may have noticed the long running tagline at the top that says “Sweet cravings and salty language”.  If ever I were to be accused of having vices, those two would probably top the list.  (Any of you waving your hands to mention my impatience and my tendency to stay up past midnight for no good reason can just zip it.)

Well, anyway, it’s no secret that I love me some sugar.  I stir it into my coffee, my tea and sprinkle it on my toast.  I like to indulge in public, and sneak it when no one is looking.  I once had a friend out me at a dinner party, to a room full of people I was meeting for the first time, that I like to sneak chocolate with my first cup of coffee, yes at 6 a.m.  That’s how you get a name for yourself, right there.  I also am known around certain circles (hello, Twitter!) as having a deep love of all things chocolate, especially Toffifee.  I am also a great enabler.

I named my blog for my love of coffee and chocolate, and one of my first published pieces was entitled “Chocolafession”.

Sugar and I are hot and heavy.

However.  There comes a time in every sugar lover’s life when they wake up and realize they aren’t 25 anymore, and that perhaps fueling themselves purely on sweet things is not just silly, it’s actually pretty foolish.  I can’t say I mind being known for my sweet tooth and chocolate cravings, but I admit, it makes me crazy that I have such a hard time saying no.  If it’s in the house, I want it.  My mood is instantly improved by it.  (And to be honest, writing this is making me want it badly enough my teeth hurt.)

And I just gave in.

See?  That’s what makes me so annoyed.  Don’t get me wrong, I will always love being the girl who loves her sugar, but I want to enjoy it on my terms.  Giving control of my brain over to something that doesn’t even have one doesn’t sit right with me.  And knowing that it’s a habit that must be affecting my energy, and worse, my health irritates me even more.  I’d rather enjoy my sweets when I really want something, and am taking the time to savour it than just using sugar and chocolate as easy fuel when I’m busy.

I’ve been invited to take part in something special that is starting up right away, and I would love some company if any of you have been looking for a way to battle this particular vice.  I’m going to dive in with the ladies from Domestic Diva and join their 28 Day Sugar Detox.  There are a few reasons why I think this will be a good way to move forward – first, I hate deprivation and just quitting cold turkey doesn’t work for me and second, I know enough about one of the founders of Domestic Diva to know that she’s smart and down to earth about this stuff.  And I know how busy she is, and that she has two kids similar in age to my own!  So I know she understands how busy some of us are, and how hard it is to juggle something new in.  She’s living it!  But she’s also been where I am and has made good changes to her own life with the resources they’ll be sharing.  I love the idea of learning why the hell I’m craving sugar sometimes all the time, and how to get to a point that I feel nourished and satisfied enough that I don’t feel the sugar crazies the way I do now.

You can check out all the details on their website, along with many more posts and articles they have been creating.  We’re starting Monday, Jan 23rd, and going for four weeks of learning, trying out suggestions, sharing our experiences with others and finally making the move to get sugar off our “vice” list.

Sweet wishes to you if you decide to come join in!

Disclosure:  I’ve been invited to join the 28 Day Sugar Detox compliments of the ladies of Domestic Diva.  However, I volunteered to share my story beforehand, and to share my thoughts after all is said and done because I really believe they have wisdom worth sharing.  All opinions are my own.

Photo credit:  Jade Gordon

COMMENTS

• Merry120

January 20, 2012., 4:05 am /

I'm going to stand on the sidelines & cheer you on! I can't quite make the leap just yet.

• Anonymous

January 20, 2012., 4:21 am /

Thanks, Merry! You know, I'm not looking to give up my love for sweet things entirely. I just am so sick of it defining my day. If I can find ways to cruise through my days feeling more energetic, and control the urge to sneak sweet things all day long, I'll be happy. I want to feel good, and then enjoy good things when I really want to - not because I didn't bother to make myself lunch AGAIN. ; )

• Merry120

January 20, 2012., 4:05 am /

• Anonymous

January 20, 2012., 4:21 am /

• Sarah S

January 20, 2012., 1:05 pm /

omg..a month w/o sugar? Don't think i could do it. Still checking link though. Palpitating just thinking bout it!

• Anonymous

January 20, 2012., 1:34 pm /

Oh, I'm with you. No way could I just stop and carry on with my life. This is different - there's a lot I can learn about good substitutes for white sugar for instance. And other things I should probably add to my diet to help me not crave sugar. If you read through it all, there's lots we can do to feel nourished and energetic so we don't just reach for sugar for short term bursts. That's what I want to learn - deprivation's not for me! I want to feel good!

• Sarah S

January 20, 2012., 1:05 pm /

• Anonymous

January 20, 2012., 1:34 pm /

• Skrappygrrl

January 21, 2012., 9:16 pm /

Any new habit apparently takes 21 days to be engrained in your mind and body so I guess 28 days makes a lot of sense. And the wonderful Moms at Domestic Diva will be with you the whole way through. You CAN do this! And you will feel so much better. Imagine not having to hide your "stash" or just keep eating more sugar when you feel tired and zapped of energy. Get off the treadmill and start living.

• Anonymous

January 22, 2012., 4:55 am /

Yes, I think this is going to be a good thing, all the way around. Thank you! ; )

• Skrappygrrl

January 21, 2012., 9:16 pm /

• Anonymous

January 22, 2012., 4:55 am /

• Little Miss Mocha » Blog Archive » Mixed beans for 2/3/12

February 3, 2012., 4:52 pm /

[...] Ooh, and I’m midway through my Sugar Detox with Domestic Diva, going very well and learning so much I didn’t know.  I’ll be [...]

• Little Miss Mocha » Blog Archive » Mixed beans for 2/3/12